Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Book Theif

Since I have been out of school for a little while waiting for my nursing program to start I have been doing a lot of reading, since I know I won't get the chance come January. My ward has a book club that meets once a month, they had taken the summer off, but were starting again and so I decided to read the book for this month on the off chance that I would go. Unfortunately life caught up with me and the day of book club I still had about 80 pages left to read. I knew it would only take an hour or so to finish, but just didn't have the time that day so I didn't make it to book club. So during Logan's nap today I decided to finish.
I sobbed the whole rest of the way through the book and now I totally wish Tyler or my Mom was home to talk about it! I always like to discuss my books when I'm done with them, hence the reason for book club! Anyways since they aren't home I am blogging about it instead!

The book was really interesting as it was told from "Death's" point of view. At first it really bothered me, but as you read on it just kind of flows together. It is set during the Holocaust but isn't based in a concentration camp like most of the others which I liked. I liked the fact that it was just an innocent little German girl who seemed rather uninvolved in the goings on of the war, well at first anways. It's different to see the perspective from those who were in Germany during the war, who may not have agreed with what was going on in their country but still suffered the consequences. I've always really enjoyed learning about the Holocaust because in all reality it wasn't that long ago and it is unreal to me that things like that have really occurred and that people really went through those horrific events. I can't even begin to describe my feelings about it because they are so deep, I'm not even sure there are words for them.

I read the book expecting to cry the whole way through because that's pretty typical of a Holocaust novel, but most of the book is really just about a young girl's life during a terrible time in history. It was an easy read which I like since I tend to fall asleep when I'm reading late at night so anything too complicated gets lost as I doze off.

Whenever I finish a book I get this lost little puppy feeling. I'm sad because I want more! I want to read about their stories forever! Maybe that's why I just have to keep reading and reading! What am I going to do when school starts and I have to put my books down and write papers instead?! Anyways, I'm done, but it was a book well worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment